Your Thoughts on a 2010 Trail Deal

Latest Update: The dealer from Sierra Vista just told me that they can no longer get 2010 4Runners because they're switching in the 2011s. Their next order is Tuesday and is for 2011s. She said there was going to be a price increase of about 2% (seems a little high to me) and that she could order me one for $36,720. Hmm. Based on the info on Edmunds.com, which does have 2011 numbers, the price increase for the 2011s is only $105, not 2%. So, now she's quoting me $1000 over invoice when I was at $400 over to begin with. This is starting to feel like the old bait-and-switch game.
 
Latest Update: The dealer from Sierra Vista just told me that they can no longer get 2010 4Runners because they're switching in the 2011s. Their next order is Tuesday and is for 2011s. She said there was going to be a price increase of about 2% (seems a little high to me) and that she could order me one for $36,720. Hmm. Based on the info on Edmunds.com, which does have 2011 numbers, the price increase for the 2011s is only $105, not 2%. So, now she's quoting me $1000 over invoice when I was at $400 over to begin with. This is starting to feel like the old bait-and-switch game.

Yeah - I would say the offer still stands and if they can put something together then to give you a ring.

If you can wait, the best time to purchase a vehicle is right around the corner - Year end - go shopping on 12/28 through 1/1/2011 and I bet you will get the deal you are hoping for. I bought my Honda Civic (no laughing now!) on 1/1/2007 and got a spectacular deal. They are all trying to make the end of year numbers look good - so if they will not work with you know I bet they will in another 3 months.
 
2011 Price Increase

Here is a quote from the following website about the new 2011 price increase. Not even close to the 2% mentioned.

"The base MSRP for the 2011 4Runner will range from $29,525 for the SR5 4x2 V6 with a five-speed automatic transmission to $39,685 for the Limited grade 4x4 V6 with a five-speed automatic. The base MSRP’s reflect changes that range from a decrease of $115, or 0.3 percent on some models to an increase of $350, or 1.2 percent on others. "


Toyota 4Runner History 2011
 
Latest Update: The dealer from Sierra Vista just told me that they can no longer get 2010 4Runners because they're switching in the 2011s. Their next order is Tuesday and is for 2011s. She said there was going to be a price increase of about 2% (seems a little high to me) and that she could order me one for $36,720. Hmm. Based on the info on Edmunds.com, which does have 2011 numbers, the price increase for the 2011s is only $105, not 2%. So, now she's quoting me $1000 over invoice when I was at $400 over to begin with. This is starting to feel like the old bait-and-switch game.

She's lying. Here's the text: "The 2011 Toyota 4Runner base price range is $30,335-$40,495. Compared to model-year 2010 pricing, this represents an increase of up to $350 on some 4Runner models, but also a decrease of $115 on other."

So, first they said they could "divert" one for you, and now they're not available?
 
I just talked to her again and they're holding to the $36700 number for a 2011. I told them I was going to pass. So, I'm going to try and work a deal with the Phoenix dealer for the 2010 that's in stock. I'll keep you posted. By the way, I hate buying cars!
 
I just talked to her again and they're holding to the $36700 number for a 2011. I told them I was going to pass. So, I'm going to try and work a deal with the Phoenix dealer for the 2010 that's in stock. I'll keep you posted. By the way, I hate buying cars!

I am a Toyota Dealer in Texas....can I help?

I would say tell the Pheonix dealer what you will do...say " I will buy right now if".....

Tell them to deliver it and pick up both trades.....

If not....what color are you looking for and I will see if I have one.
 
I am a Toyota Dealer in Texas....can I help?

I would say tell the Pheonix dealer what you will do...say " I will buy right now if".....

Tell them to deliver it and pick up both trades.....

If not....what color are you looking for and I will see if I have one.

Just talked to the Phoenix dealer and they're going to be way lower than the $27250 trade-in value I was quoted from the Sierra Vista dealer. They were looking at the Manheim reports and are thinking mid-20s. Now I'm really going backwards! They haven't given me any firm numbers yet so I don't know how the deal is going to shake out. I may not be able to get back to the original deal from Sierra Vista at this rate!

I'll keep you posted.
 
Just talked to the Phoenix dealer and they're going to be way lower than the $27250 trade-in value I was quoted from the Sierra Vista dealer. They were looking at the Manheim reports and are thinking mid-20s. Now I'm really going backwards! They haven't given me any firm numbers yet so I don't know how the deal is going to shake out. I may not be able to get back to the original deal from Sierra Vista at this rate!

I'll keep you posted.

If you can get the same price on an 11 as you were quoted on a 10 than you should go for it.....especially since it seems like they are giving you good $$ on the trades...
 
If you can get the same price on an 11 as you were quoted on a 10 than you should go for it.....especially since it seems like they are giving you good $$ on the trades...

Can't do that. For a 2011 they upped the price by $700. I was at $36000 for the 2010 and they quoted $36700 for the 2011. I don't know what to do.
 
Can't do that. For a 2011 they upped the price by $700. I was at $36000 for the 2010 and they quoted $36700 for the 2011. I don't know what to do.

How much more are they giving you for the trade than the other dealers?

What is the MSRP? Discount?
 
Based on what the other dealers are offering, I got a really good Super Bee trade value from Sierra Vista to start with ($27250). The Phoenix dealer came back with $24000 for the trade initially. Ugh. I was hung up on wanting a certain amount out of my trades because of KBB and it definitely muddied up the deal and caused me to counter Sierra Vista's offer twice. Based on what I getting from Phoenix, I should have jumped on the original deal and then made them stick to it when they found out they couldn't get any more 2010s. Now, because they're looking at 2011s, the price went up (probably to get back some of the money for over-inflating the Super Bee trade value in the original offer).

Even looking at the new 2011 numbers, it doesn't look like a bad deal. If I readjust to where I'm buying at invoice and taking the trades into account I think I'll be okay. Here's what I figure:

Sell Price: $35720 (which should be the new invoice total on 2011s reflecting the $100 price increase)

Trade 1: $26250 (tax adjusted value = $28,573.13)
Trade 2: $4000 (tax adjusted value = $4354)

That means I would have to private sell both vehicles for $32927.13 to break even. Realistically I could sell the Super Bee for $28000 and the Mitsu for $5000 and that gets me to $33000 plus all the hassles with private selling here. Basically, it's a wash with the tax-adjusted trade-in values.

Maybe I should just order the 2011 and stop worrying about all of this. I was awake half the night thinking about it and that is ridiculous. I should be looking forward to getting a sweet new 4Runner instead of giving myself stomach aches. Plus, at the end I'll have a vehicle that's one model year newer. Sound like a good idea?

Thanks so much for all of your comments and assistance thus far. I really appreciate how friendly and helpful everyone here is. :guitar3:
 
What to pay for a Trail

I did include the details in the original post. It's a Trail with KDSS and floor mats. All trails are equipped the same way (water-resistant seats, sunroof, sliding cargo deck, DJ radio, bluetooth, backup camera, alarm) and then have two major options, KDSS and Nav. They are unlike SR5s where lots of options can be checked off.

Hello! I had to seek out a 2010 Trail and my local dealer (Columbus, Ohio) found one in PA. I got it for around $700 BELOW invoice. Another local dealer offered $500 under. Please keep in mind that these were vehicles my dealer had to find and secure (the latter is the hard part). If the one you want is available locally (within 60 miles) I think (my own opinion) you may be able to do even better than I did! Just depends on how close the dealership is close to its sales goals.

In any event, GOOD LUCK!!!!
 
Last edited:
Hello! I had to seek out a 2010 Trail and my local dealer (Columbus, Ohio) found one in PA. I got it for around $700 BELOW invoice. Another local dealer offered $500 under. Please keep in mind that these were vehicles they had to find and secure. If the one you want is available locally (within 60 miles) I think (my own opinion) you may be able to do even better than me! Just depends on how close the dealership is close to its sales goals.

In any event, GOOD LUCK!!!!

I'm from Columbus! Glad you were able to find a Trail without all of the headaches. :banana: What has really messed up my deal is the two trade-ins, especially the Super Bee. I was basing my thought process on KBB trade-in values which really aren't true trade-in values. Actual dealer offers are quite a bit less. So, instead of jumping on the deal on Thursday night, I tried to negotiate more money. Now they're saying they can't get a 2010 and the 2011 is going to cost me over $700 more (saying there's a 2% price increase which is pure BS because Toyota released pricing at the end of July. Trails are going up $105, or 0.3%).

The dealer in Phoenix (which has it in stock) stopped calling because I was looking for the same deal that was offered to me in Sierra Vista. They were $2300 higher!!!

The lesson learned is to not have a trade-in. Just sell the vehicle privately and then ask for quotes online. That's what I did with the wife's Honda and it worked out perfectly. I sent emails out to 11 dealerships and bought from the cheapest and easiest to work with. I definitely don't remember losing sleep over that deal. I haven't slept the last two nights because of this mess.

Anyway, have fun with the new ride in Columbus. We're hoping to move back soon. We miss it.
 
If you have a CarMax in your area, you may see what they will give you on trade-in. They'll buy your car, or just an appraisal, even if you aren't buying from them. I've taken 2 cars there in the past and they always beat the dealers offers by quite a bit. I've taken CarMax's appraisal to dealers and never had a dealer beat it.

However, when I've had the time, Autotrader.com and Cars.com helped me sell 2 vehicles within about 2 months of listing. Both recently with the terrible economy.
 
If you have a CarMax in your area, you may see what they will give you on trade-in. They'll buy your car, or just an appraisal, even if you aren't buying from them. I've taken 2 cars there in the past and they always beat the dealers offers by quite a bit. I've taken CarMax's appraisal to dealers and never had a dealer beat it.

However, when I've had the time, Autotrader.com and Cars.com helped me sell 2 vehicles within about 2 months of listing. Both recently with the terrible economy.

I've thought about that for the Mitsubishi, but right now even the revised offer (tax-adjusted) is still way better than anyone else regarding the trades. If I adjust for taxes, they're giving me what I can realistically sell the vehicles for privately. I just didn't like the whole bait-and-switch thing that happened. I'm going to talk about it with them tomorrow. My problem was that I was so stuck on KBB trade-in value that it screwed up the original deal. I should have just accepted it on Thursday night and stopped worrying about it. I never do well with cars (buying or selling).
 
Well, the drama is finally over. I talked to the dealership and we came to a good agreement on a 2011. So, I'm ordering a Salsa Red 2011 Trail Edition with KDSS. The bad thing is that I have to wait a while to get it!

The only mods I plan on making right away are rubber floor mats and new tires (at this point either Revo 2 (E) or Duratrac (E) in 265 70 17).

I'll keep everyone posted with build date etc. I'm getting excited! The wife doesn't like that we're getting rid of the Super Bee, but it's just not a practical vehicle for what we want to do. She'll get over that fast when we go off-road to a romantic campsite somewhere out here!

Thanks everyone for all of your comments and suggestions. It was nice to bounce this off of everyone. I'm looking forward to spending more time on the forum (when I'm not out in the 4Runner)!
 
Well, the drama is finally over. I talked to the dealership and we came to a good agreement on a 2011. So, I'm ordering a Salsa Red 2011 Trail Edition with KDSS. The bad thing is that I have to wait a while to get it!

The only mods I plan on making right away are rubber floor mats and new tires (at this point either Revo 2 (E) or Duratrac (E) in 265 70 17).

I'll keep everyone posted with build date etc. I'm getting excited! The wife doesn't like that we're getting rid of the Super Bee, but it's just not a practical vehicle for what we want to do. She'll get over that fast when we go off-road to a romantic campsite somewhere out here!

Thanks everyone for all of your comments and suggestions. It was nice to bounce this off of everyone. I'm looking forward to spending more time on the forum (when I'm not out in the 4Runner)!

Do you mind to tell us what you are end up to pay for, that info could help someone in the future don't have to go thru what you have.
 
Do you mind to tell us what you are end up to pay for, that info could help someone in the future don't have to go thru what you have.

Well, it was definitely the trades that had everything messed up. So, at the end of all of this, they put the selling price for the 2011 at $1000 above invoice ($36720), but the combined trade value was more than $1000 higher than it should have been ($31242). Basically, if I drop the price of the 4Runner to invoice ($35720) and lower my trade values by $1000 to $30242, the tax-adjusted trade value came out to pretty close to what I could realistically sell the two vehicles for privately ($32918) and buy the 4Runner at invoice. Sure, I could probably end up a couple of hundred bucks extra in my pocket by private selling the two cars, but now I don't have to deal with the hassles of selling them.

Regardless, the deal is done and now I've got a sweet 2011 coming my way at some point in the next 2 months. Of course, just yesterday, a rock kicked up and cracked the windshield in the Mitsu. So, I'll be out another couple of hundred bucks to fix that. Yippee.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,316
Messages
3,554,113
Members
248,016
Latest member
Advally Service

Trending content

Back
Top