View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 05:36 PM

Intruder will become famous soon enough

Intruder will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsTrail View Post
Keep it simple, no shackle, put the end of the strap into the receiver and put the hitch pin through it.
That's a great way to end up having to cut the pin out of your receiver when it bends. The pin is not rated for a pull on the centre like that (@1engineer can explain why it's a problem compared to the receiver shackle). I can't think of a single instance where I got hung up on the receiver shackle, though I did scrape it plenty of times without any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Honestly not much. A few have added a curt front receiver but the ones I've seen hang too low. Otherwise there are the factory tie downs to attach a strap to but it's buried down there which is an issue if your front end is buried.
I always found that if the front recovery points were too buried to get at that a backwards pull was probably a better idea.

You can use the factory rear recovery point, but it can be difficult to get to at times. The other thing is you only have the one point on the driver's side and for some recoveries you don't want the angle pull. Another alternative to a recovery strap is a KERR like a Bubba Rope. I picked one up a while ago and I reach for it before the strap most of the time now. There are still times where a strap might be better so I still keep a few in the truck. I think my complement of recovery gear is 2 TJM straps, 1 cheap Erickson strap for use in mud, 1 Bubba Rope, 50' winch extension, 5 bow shackles (I don't use D shackles as they can't be side loaded), tree saver, pulley, and leather gloves. Believe me, you want the leather gloves when you handle winch line or a cold shackle. Looking at picking up a couple of gator jaw soft shackles from Bubba Rope as well.

Also, like @phillyd2 mentioned, make sure to back the pin of your shackle off about half a turn after you tighten it. When the shackle rotates as you pull the other vehicle the pin can fuse in there if it's tightened down all the way and you might need a plasma cutter to get it off.
http://sittingbyariver.blogspot.ca/
Intruder is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote