1989 Rear Window Help

Topless4R

New member
After tearing apart my 4runner to find out why my rear window doesn't work, I have found the Window Relay to be faulty.

Instead of buying another or cutting it open and performing surgery on it, can I:

Completely bypass it? (don't care about wiper,defrost, etc.)

or

Use factory UP/DOWN switch in a new circuit that i create with an inline fuse?

-has anyone done this? Has 5 pins, read that 3 is negative, 2 is power to lowering window, 4 is power to raising window.

What are pins 1 and 5 for?
Where would I connect constant power?

Any help appreciated.
Yes I searched.
 
Register to hide this ad
After tearing apart my 4runner to find out why my rear window doesn't work, I have found the Window Relay to be faulty.

Instead of buying another or cutting it open and performing surgery on it, can I:

Completely bypass it? (don't care about wiper,defrost, etc.)

or

Use factory UP/DOWN switch in a new circuit that i create with an inline fuse?

-has anyone done this? Has 5 pins, read that 3 is negative, 2 is power to lowering window, 4 is power to raising window.

What are pins 1 and 5 for?
Where would I connect constant power?

Any help appreciated.
Yes I searched.

I can't tell you about the stock switch but I bypassed my stock system altogether. I used a reverse polarity switch and run a deadicatid fused wire from batt to switch and window motor. It has worked perfectly for 4 years.
 
Thanks for the help,
thinking about going with a 5 pin momentary switch. Would have to order online though.

Like this?

1. 12v
2. Motor UP
3. Ground
4. Motor Down
5. 12v
 
If you use two 5 pin relay switches it will work. However you will loose functionality of the rear wiper. You can't use a relay on the rear wiper or you will loose the "park" feature on the wiper.

I would suggest you go online to ebay and find a used relay. I had installed the 5 pin relays and found a 4runner relay on ebay for $50.00. Put everything back original and glad I did.
 
Found another Relay/Module today, swapped it in and nothing. :frusty:
It won't make any clicking noise.
Bad switch?

How would I wire the two 5 pin relays and a ON-OFF-ON switch?
Relay:
30-?
85-?
86-?
87-?
87a-?

Switch:
1-?
2-? (Middle pin)
3-?

Thanks for helping, last major thing I need to fix on my 4R. :frusty:
 
Using the 2 Relay method with 3 prong ON-OFF-ON switch:

relays:
30 motor
85 12v
86 switch
87 12v
87a ground

switch:
1- 86
2- Ground
3 -86

FAILED :gun4:

relays:
30 motor
85 ground
86 switch
87 12v
87a ground

switch:
1-86
2-12v
3-86

FAILED :gun4:

:wtf: Anybody see what I'm doing wrong here?
 
:whoo: Window Works! :whoo:

Pisa 8687 has a solution that works, bypassing stock circuit. (lose wiper,defrost, and key function...etc)

Need a DPDT ON-OFF-ON Momentary 6 Pin Switch ($5)
-I used : (Frys.com #7822479 Manufacturer: PHILMORE UPC #038975308463 Model #30-846)

&
Inline fuse holder (30a) / Wire

Pin Layout:
12
34
56

1- 12v (fused)
2- Ground
3- Motor
4- Motor
5- Splice into Pin #2
6- Splice into Pin #1

The switch fits perfectly into the stock window switch location.
Window will operate without the keys in the ignition.

Thanks again Chris
 
I bypassed everything in mine. Using dpdt momentary switches. No relays. Can't figure out the wiring with dpdt switches.
 
I think I used 20. Too small and too long. Window is slow. I may go back, but probably not. Top isn't going back on anytime soon.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,384
Messages
3,554,586
Members
248,078
Latest member
Talyn

Trending content

Back
Top