Falken Wild Peak AT3W in Load Range C

Will_4R

Member
I have run several sets of these Wild Peaks on one of my 4Runner's and work Tacoma (all P-series) and really like them. I would now like to put a set on my other 4Runner, which sees more 4x4/trail time so I would like to go with 285/70/17 in a Load Range C. These would replace the same sized Ridge Grapplers I have on there now (which were awesome but suck in snow which I see a lot more of now).

Oddly the Wild Peaks in C weight 5 lbs more than the E series - which puts them at 9 lbs heavier than my current Nittos. I asked Falken about that and here is the response I received:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the weight differences between the two tire sizes. The C load version is actually a OEM/OE tire that comes on new Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators. As such, it is spec'd to Jeep's standards and does weigh more than our E load version, despite not handling more load. While there isn't an additional ply on the C load version, there is more material built into the tire to handle the criteria set forth by Jeep.

The E load version does weigh lighter but does handle more load than the C load version. Again, that additional weight on the C load is additional material.


Other than being quite heavy, it sounds like a more rugged tire better suited to sharp rocky trails without the added stiffness of an E-series. The added un-sprung weight concerns me, the 'runner is sluggish enough with oversized tires, especially when towing (which I do a lot of). What I am curious about is if others have run this model/size/load range and notice any real difference handling with the added weight - or other comments. I also wanted to provide a first hand explanation of why the lower load range tire is heavier, since I couldn't find anything searching.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have run several sets of these Wild Peaks on one of my 4Runner's and work Tacoma (all P-series) and really like them. I would now like to put a set on my other 4Runner, which sees more 4x4/trail time so I would like to go with 285/70/17 in a Load Range C. These would replace the same sized Ridge Grapplers I have on there now (which were awesome but suck in snow which I see a lot more of now).

Oddly the Wild Peaks in C weight 5 lbs more than the E series - which puts them at 9 lbs heavier than my current Nittos. I asked Falken about that and here is the response I received:

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the weight differences between the two tire sizes. The C load version is actually a OEM/OE tire that comes on new Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators. As such, it is spec'd to Jeep's standards and does weigh more than our E load version, despite not handling more load. While there isn't an additional ply on the C load version, there is more material built into the tire to handle the criteria set forth by Jeep.

The E load version does weigh lighter but does handle more load than the C load version. Again, that additional weight on the C load is additional material.


Other than being quite heavy, it sounds like a more rugged tire better suited to sharp rocky trails without the added stiffness of an E-series. The added un-sprung weight concerns me, the 'runner is sluggish enough with oversized tires, especially when towing (which I do a lot of). What I am curious about is if others have run this model/size/load range and notice any real difference handling with the added weight - or other comments. I also wanted to provide a first hand explanation of why the lower load range tire is heavier, since I couldn't find anything searching.
I found your thread this evening and I’m in the same situation. You have asked all the questions and even received an answer from Falken. I’m currently running a 285/70-17 AT3W in a SL rating and have been pleased with it on and off road, but the tread wear is not great. Besides having aftermarket suspension, I have full steel skids including a rear diff skid, a lo-pro front steel bumper, 4 wide steel LFD roof cross bars, and steel sliders. I ran a KO2 in an E load prior to my Falkens, but the ride was a little rough and was getting 1mpg less. One online vendor stated 54.9 lbs.
I think your thread would have received more replies if it was in the regular 5th gen forum. What did you eventually go with?
 
I found your thread this evening and I’m in the same situation. You have asked all the questions and even received an answer from Falken. I’m currently running a 285/70-17 AT3W in a SL rating and have been pleased with it on and off road, but the tread wear is not great. Besides having aftermarket suspension, I have full steel skids including a rear diff skid, a lo-pro front steel bumper, 4 wide steel LFD roof cross bars, and steel sliders. I ran a KO2 in an E load prior to my Falkens, but the ride was a little rough and was getting 1mpg less. One online vendor stated 54.9 lbs.
I think your thread would have received more replies if it was in the regular 5th gen forum. What did you eventually go with?

I went with that size in the C. It's hard to notice much if any difference from the added weight. I have about 10k miles on them and happy so far. Handle as well all other Wildpeaks I've had.
 
I went with that size in the C. It's hard to notice much if any difference from the added weight. I have about 10k miles on them and happy so far. Handle as well all other Wildpeaks I've had.
Thanks for your response to an old thread. I just started a new thread about the new AT4W’s coming in January in the forum. I will see what the new C load tire weight is then. You were correct about the current C load made for Jeeps after speaking with Falken CS. My SL’s are wearing fast, and down to 5/32 in 23k. They said to contact them when I’m at 4/32 to see what they can do in prorating my tires. Thanks again. Nice rig.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,384
Messages
3,554,587
Members
248,078
Latest member
Talyn

Trending content

Back
Top