It took me 7 months to find one that loosely matched my criteria. I ideally wanted a black 5spd V6 with zero rust, very few flaws, and under 200k miles for $6k or less. I was not in a rush, and was willing to wait for the right one.
I was naive when I started searching though. This was going to be the 2nd 4runner I'd purchased, and I knew that 5spds could be somewhat hard to come by. About a week in to the start of my search, I found one on CL that met most of my criteria, had 175k but was green. I made the mistake of waiting too long, and after viewing it for several days on CL, the day that I went to look at it and make the call, the ad had been taken down.
I was absolutely gutted! I continued to search every day on CL, autotrader, ebay, local ads, etc. and couldn't find something within reason for several months. Finally, I found a black 5spd V6 with 250k with 33"s and a 4-6" lift. I wasn't thrilled about 250k nor the lift being mostly a body lift, but I was interested in it. The owner was asking a lot for it, somewhere around $8k, and I spent a bunch of time negotiating with. Finally got him to come down on the price, and we agreed on a final price that was higher than my desired range because I wanted this deal done.......and then he turned around and reneged on the deal and decided to keep it.
I was pissed at this point, but I kept looking. Found another one that same week a couple hours away for $6500, a tan 200k 5spd V6, and after emailing back and forth with the owner, he changed his mind and decided to keep his as well.
I was thinking at this point that maybe this is never going to happen.......until a couple weeks later, when the first 4runner that I had found on CL, the green 5spd V6, appeared back on craigslist! I saw the ad, called him that day, and bought it the next day for $5750. Couldn't be happier with how it worked out.
A week later the guy with the black 4runner contacted me to say he was interested in selling it to me now. Nope. A few weeks after that, the seller of the green 5spd contacted me to see if I was interested in selling it back to him. Double nope.
Very frustrating process, but it was worth the wait and I'd do it again.
A pic from the day I got her.