New TE... immediately dump the stock tires?

bogman2121

New member
I know this is a question asked in many different ways around here so I apologize but I'm doing it too.

I'm picking up my TE either tomorrow or Monday and want to know if the stock tires are actually as terrible as some people say or if they're good enough to hold out until next winter before being replaced?

It'll be my daily driver with a 5 mile round trip commute for work and I plan to hit some light trails on my way to climbing 14ers and mountain biking. I'll also want to head up to Breckenridge and Vail on the weekends for the next month to get some boarding in so will definitely want a better tire for the snow by next winter.

I was considering Duratracs(265s) but I want some honest opinions on if it needs to be done right away because they're just that bad, or can I wait a bit?

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
I have 32k on the stock Dunlops and haven't had any issues. They aren't great in the snow but I took the truck off road a couple of times in CO on dry trails without any issues. You might look to see if the dealer will credit you for the stock tires, drop ship Duratracs from Tire Rack and have them mount and balance them for you.
 
I know this is a question asked in many different ways around here so I apologize but I'm doing it too.

I'm picking up my TE either tomorrow or Monday and want to know if the stock tires are actually as terrible as some people say or if they're good enough to hold out until next winter before being replaced?

It'll be my daily driver with a 5 mile round trip commute for work and I plan to hit some light trails on my way to climbing 14ers and mountain biking. I'll also want to head up to Breckenridge and Vail on the weekends for the next month to get some boarding in so will definitely want a better tire for the snow by next winter.

I was considering Duratracs(265s) but I want some honest opinions on if it needs to be done right away because they're just that bad, or can I wait a bit?

Thanks
if you have Discount Tire in your area, or another shop that will give you a good trade-in on your new stockers, i would say don't wait; get the max you can for them now. you won't regret the Duratracs.

my 2¢. welcome to the TE club!
:cheers:
 
So far I'm loving my duratracs. I had the dealer credit me for the tires upgrade. These tires are so much better in the snow.
 
Trade in the tires- negotiate with dealer

My dealer did not trade, but worth trying. I went straight to my local Firestone dealer and he swapped the stock tires for 275 Firestone Destination A/T's at no charge.
 
I took the stock Dunlops off my SR5 at 500 miles and found a generous local tire dealer who gave me $650 for them and I went with Michelin LTX MS/2. Might go Duratrac next, but I've had great luck over the years with the Michelins (almost all onroad).
 
Get tires ASAP, especially if you plan to drive in the mountains. For your safety, and mine. I don't want you sliding into me on I70 on the way to the hill! :rofl:

Discount on Arapahoe gave the most for my stockers, but couldn't Coopers or my Goodyears balanced. The called the other day to tell me they got a new balancer, so who knows.
 
FWIW I sold mine immediately since I could get most money that way. Took 2 days to sell 4 - 500 mile stockers on Craigslist for $450. Discount tire only offered $300...

Bought stock size Revo 2's and happy so far, although may regret not upsizing now that I'm looking at new wheels and Bilstein 5100 lift.
 
Mine are sitting in the garage with 150 miles on them. I have to do something with them. I just felt they didn't fit the attitude of the truck, hence why duratracs went on there immediately.
 
I was driving almost a year on stock tires. There are driveable @34 psi but you should be extra careful in show and try to avoid mud, slippery rocks and deep snow. In the matter of fact I pulled the trigger on Duratarcs when I nearly stuck in the about 5 inches of mud and had to turn back because there was more mud ahead on a trail and there was nobody around to pull me out : )
 
I think I'm going to keep them until winter rolls around again. It seems to be warming up around here so I can get by til the next ski season.

Definitely not waiting too much longer to get sliders though.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,316
Messages
3,554,107
Members
248,016
Latest member
Advally Service

Trending content

Back
Top