Rhythmic squeaking noise

slugger360

New member
I have a 2012 SR5 with ~235k miles. In April I started to notice that there was a very faint squeaking noise on the right side, but only when the windows were down AND there was structure (wall, fence, trees) to reflect the sound back. I also had to be under 30 mph or road noise would drown it out. It was a squeaking noise that sounded rhythmic or cyclic. It would go away when I turned to the right and possibly while braking.

Fast forward a month and about 500 miles and now I can hear it without the sound bouncing off something back, and at higher speeds. Speed doesn’t seem to have a huge effect on it, but still a minor increase in frequency as I speed up. It stayed like this for a bit before where I am now, about 1500 miles and 4 months later where I can hear it on both sides of the car, up to 45 mph, but still only with the windows down. It gets quieter now when I turn either direction, and disappears under 15 mph. It doesn’t seem to be overly correlated to how long I’ve been driving or weather, but it can be quieter when I first start. I also noticed that going up a hill sometimes has made it go away, and taking my foot off the accelerator has on one occasion made it go away.

Some things I’ve checked:

-Jacked up the car and tried spinning both right tires to see if I could recreate it (I couldn’t)

-I tried prying under the wheel with a crowbar as well but couldn’t hear anything

-there didn’t seem to be excessive play pushing/pulling the wheel in various spots while jacked up

-The noise is still there in 4H and also neutral

The frequency doesn’t seem to be rpm or speed dependent

-activating the E-brake doesn’t make it better or worse

-there is a thin bare metal line on both of my rear rotors near the radius leading into the hub/hat area.

Possible issues:

-left CV axle is loose on the differential side up-down/forward-back. A Toyota master tech said it was fine, but I’m not convinced. I have clunking while turning as well.

-right outer tie rod bushing may have busted open

-there is a loud clunk/cracking noise when turning left while reversing

Recent maintenance:

-January got all brakes/rotors replaced and the front right caliper was seized so replaced

-lubricated propellor shafts (6 places) in April

-sprayed a rust protector in March

-replaced serpentine belt in March



I took it to Toyota and they said they installed the wrong brake shims and fixed it, but it came back. I’m racking by brain since my tests haven’t yielded anything, and can’t seem to replicate it. From my research it doesn’t seem like a seized caliper, but I’d be happy to be wrong.

Any ideas what to look at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a 2012 SR5 with ~235k miles. In April I started to notice that there was a very faint squeaking noise on the right side, but only when the windows were down AND there was structure (wall, fence, trees) to reflect the sound back. I also had to be under 30 mph or road noise would drown it out. It was a squeaking noise that sounded rhythmic or cyclic. It would go away when I turned to the right and possibly while braking.

Fast forward a month and about 500 miles and now I can hear it without the sound bouncing off something back, and at higher speeds. Speed doesn’t seem to have a huge effect on it, but still a minor increase in frequency as I speed up. It stayed like this for a bit before where I am now, about 1500 miles and 4 months later where I can hear it on both sides of the car, up to 45 mph, but still only with the windows down. It gets quieter now when I turn either direction, and disappears under 15 mph. It doesn’t seem to be overly correlated to how long I’ve been driving or weather, but it can be quieter when I first start. I also noticed that going up a hill sometimes has made it go away, and taking my foot off the accelerator has on one occasion made it go away.

Some things I’ve checked:

-Jacked up the car and tried spinning both right tires to see if I could recreate it (I couldn’t)

-I tried prying under the wheel with a crowbar as well but couldn’t hear anything

-there didn’t seem to be excessive play pushing/pulling the wheel in various spots while jacked up

-The noise is still there in 4H and also neutral

The frequency doesn’t seem to be rpm or speed dependent

-activating the E-brake doesn’t make it better or worse

-there is a thin bare metal line on both of my rear rotors near the radius leading into the hub/hat area.

Possible issues:

-left CV axle is loose on the differential side up-down/forward-back. A Toyota master tech said it was fine, but I’m not convinced. I have clunking while turning as well.

-right outer tie rod bushing may have busted open

-there is a loud clunk/cracking noise when turning left while reversing

Recent maintenance:

-January got all brakes/rotors replaced and the front right caliper was seized so replaced

-lubricated propellor shafts (6 places) in April

-sprayed a rust protector in March

-replaced serpentine belt in March



I took it to Toyota and they said they installed the wrong brake shims and fixed it, but it came back. I’m racking by brain since my tests haven’t yielded anything, and can’t seem to replicate it. From my research it doesn’t seem like a seized caliper, but I’d be happy to be wrong.

Any ideas what to look at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That sounds ok
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,350
Messages
3,554,337
Members
248,051
Latest member
vemderglade

Trending content

Back
Top