V-6 Oil Level

<<<<

Senior Member
When changing oil and filter 4.0 V-6 on 2004 4-R it takes 5.5 q. of oil according to the manual. Well after good oil drain and 5.5 q. of new oil in I notice level on dipstick is slightly higher than top mark (about 0.3 mm). Even after driving around for couple days it still overfilled a little. Does any one noticed that? If so, which one is correct: 5.5 q of new oil, or level on dipstick?
 
Register to hide this ad
I usually go with the dipstick reading, but 3mm over is, IMHO, nothing to worry about. The 5.5 number is probably figuring a 'dry' engine, and you never can get every last drop out during a drain.
 
I have the same issue with my V6 04. When I change the oil and put in the 5.5 qts of oil that are indicated in my manual, the oil level is above the full mark. When I first bought the truck, I had the dealer change my oil and the same thing happened. Since the oil filter is mounted bottom-down and vertically on the engine, maybe some of the oil drains back into the crankcase. I don't remember how much oil was left in the old filter when I changed the oil last time. I'll have to pay more attention at the next oil change. In any case, I don't think that there is a problem.
 
Last time I checked at the manual to see how much oil per change, but I could not find it. Which page is it? I have to read more careful this time. On the last oil change, I gave to the Honda Service guy 1 box of 6 quarts of Synthetic Mobil 1 oil. Then, when I got my truck back, I still saw an unopened bottle left inside my truck. So, the service guy only used 5 bottles. However, I didn't have a chance to look at the oil level since then. I will take a look at it when I got back from work today.
 
I don't recal page number, but it's at the end of manual under Vehichle Specifications.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,381
Messages
3,554,567
Members
248,076
Latest member
DionicioLives

Trending content

Back
Top