View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 12:39 AM

P_nlsn has a spectacular aura about P_nlsn has a spectacular aura about

P_nlsn has a spectacular aura about P_nlsn has a spectacular aura about
Brake Booster Replacement [Picture Heavy for no reason]

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_nlsn View Post
Brake Booster + Accumulator Replacement @ ~310,430 mi
I had a brake problem a while ago - Now I'm finally getting around to posting about it
+===============================+
It started with just the ABS and VSC lights, along with the warning buzzer, randomly coming on while I was driving home

View post on imgur.com

Luckily, I was almost home, so after ensuring the brakes were still properly working, I drove the rest of the way home (They obviously weren't actually working, but it felt like they were, so there must've been enough pressure left in the accumulator for the 3 stops to my house)

I checked the ABS codes with our scanner and realized it had thrown almost every code possible

View post on imgur.com

I tried clearing the codes to see if this was just a fluke and my system was fine, but the problem persisted and I was left with these three codes

My first guess was an ABS module failure, so I started by swapping in an old skid control ECU to see if that changed anything. However, after some diagnostic work with the help of my dad, we came to the conclusion that my brake booster pump was the problem. We figure it had just finally crapped out after 310k miles, because it wasn't kicking on when I turned the key on

After some research on the forum, we decided to take the pump out and try to have it rebuilt at an electronics shop to save money. We later found a good deal on a *used* accumulator + pump combo though, so we decided to just replace it entirely instead

It was fairly simple to remove, you just undo 4 bolts under the dash, undo the 4 hard lines that connect to the master cylinder, unplug the 4 connectors, and then pull the whole thing out

Here's my crappily photoshopped images to help show where the bolts are under the dash

We took the old accumulator and pump off and inspected them to see their condition. We quickly realized why the pump failed. After opening the case up, we saw copper flakes that had come off the commutator bar

We put the new accumulator and pump on, and then out the master cylinder back in the engine bay. We plugged everything back in and reconnected the brake lines, then turned the key on to test the new pump. It was a glorious sound to hear that hum kick on

I then bled the lines using this method

Bleeding hydroboost HBB ABS unit manually no scanner 4runner landcruiser Montero - YouTube

+================================================= ==============+
4wd V6 '03 Sport w/ 340k miles (175k engine swapped @ 326k) // 3" Suspension Lift + 3" Body Lift on 35" K02's

@toto.runner // Build Thread // Engine Swap Write-Up

Last edited by P_nlsn; 11-04-2020 at 06:39 PM.
P_nlsn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote