deposit down for 2015 model, now dealer says can't find one, needs more $

My dealer says the one in PA isn't in the system yet, so the cars.com website must be not up to date, and he IS however, waiting for the Atlantic toyota in MA to give him a call back on the availability the car. Hopefully they call back! Or maybe should I call that dealer directly and tell them to call my dealer?

The dealer is going to tell you to come in and deal directly with them you tell them what you want and they hear

"Transfer your truck that I can definitely sell and make our dealership look good or transfer it and lose out"

Can you afford to let the money sit and go directly to another dealer?
 
I know you paid the deposit but does it say anywhere on there that you're obligated to purchase with them?

My thought was, if you were to move on and go with another dealer, bite the bullet and eat the $1000, but the dealer calls and says they have a vehicle, does it say somewhere that you have to take delivery? The end result being you with two new Toyota 4runners?
 
You might have your guy call Faulkner, it's still on their own website.

New 2015 Toyota 4Runner For Sale in Harrisburg PA | JTEBU5JR7F5261463 | Serving York PA, Lebanon PA and Mechanicsburg PA

As for calling the other dealer, I'd give yours a day or two to make the contact. My thinking is, if the dealer in MA knows you want it and knows you know where it is, they might try to talk you into going there so they get the sale instead of trading it to your dealer. I'm not sure, it might do more harm than good.

Did your dealer find these, or did he wait for you to bring them to his attention?
 
Okay, so I wanted to post an update. I made a mistake, and at least I can have other readers learn from my mistake.

So they looked and looked around and couldn't get me the 4runner I wanted (2015 black TEP with kdss and NOTHING else) and they couldn't even find me one with a few other options or a little more.

Now the 2016's aren't released yet at all.

I went in to get my 1000 dollar deposit back, and they said I can't have it until 120 days goes by. I signed an agreement for a 2015 tep black with kdss and put down 1000 dollars and they can't find one. Here is what's on the back of the agreement

"If this order is for a new vehicle which you do not have in stock when the order is placed, and you are not able to provide it within 120 days of the specified delivery date, then I may cancel this order at any time after I give you 10 days notice (during which you may still deliver the vehicle). If I do cancel the order as above, I shall be entitled to the return of any deposit in cash which I have made"

I placed this order the 10th of Aug, so I'm not sure if I can cancel now since it hasn't been 10 days, or only November 10th I can cancel it then get my money back.

The PLUS side of getting my money back is that they will likely never find the specific model I want since the new 2015 model with the specific options and color I want (rare and end of the year)

The downside is I have to WAIT FOUR MONTHS.

I also really want to buy a new car, and I can't just go somewhere else and get one because of the off chance they DO find the car, and I will then have two cars I have to pay for....

Find a dealer with one you want. Talk to the sales manager and tell him/her your situation. See if they can offer you a deal, or try to negotiate with the other dealer. Have you attempted a face to face with the owner?

You are more patient than I am. I would highly consider losing the money just out of principle. Then I would search for the regional / district managers information and politely tell them of my issues and how I am now looking at a jeep.

No company of this size should risk losing a valued customer over a grand. That can easily be made up in the advertising budget of the single dealership you are dealing with.

Hopefully this will work out in your favor
 
"I", "me," "Consumer" and "Buyer" refer to the Purchaser. "You" "your" and "dealer" refer to the seller. That line is stated at the top of the page.


The delivery date was never set. The location. Of the vehicle was "LOC/TBA"

okay. got it. thats what i thought. I needed to be sure. what i was getting at was:

Or does it mean that he can give them a 10 day notice at any point and get his money back after that 10 day period if they don't find a truck?

i think Scott is right. Thats definitely how i read it...

It says if they cannot deliver said vehicle in 120 days; you may take tour money back at any time as long as you give written notice of 10 days time.

After the 10 days has past you may collect your money. Since they cannot forecast 120 days you are entitled to your money after the 10 days notice. Go get your money.

and another who agrees...

i think i read it in this manner. give notice today and 10 days later you have your 1k back.

this is messy and i wouldn't be very patient at this point, as others have stated. At the end of the day it is your money if they fail to deliver (within the 10 day notice period is how i am reading it), you get your money back. If they cannot get you one (in 10 day notice period), you need your money back. Escalate up the chain to the GM of the dealership if you have to. but i would push them to give it back. and if they don't want to i guess express you will get a lawyer and try to get it back with interest (kind of a pipe dream but if you can make them feel its worth a fight for you they may back down) for them withholding past the 10 day notice period. it is your money they have tied up. and theres always the free social media route. slam em on yelp, forums, google reviews, etc. until they back off. they want good publicity and 1k isn't the bad publicity you can smear on them.

thanks for the learning experience though. while it is valuable for many to learn here, i do feel for you man. i would be doing a lot of this :redbrick: if i was in your place. Hope it all works out for you sooner rather than later so you can get into your new ride sooner.
 
Last edited:
"If this order is for a new vehicle which you do not have in stock when the order is placed, and you are not able to provide it within 120 days of the specified delivery date, then I may cancel this order at any time after I give you 10 days notice (during which you may still deliver the vehicle). If I do cancel the order as above, I shall be entitled to the return of any deposit in cash which I have made"

New vehicle - not in stock - can't get it - won't be delivering it in 120 days. seems to hit all the marks for getting your money back in 10 days from right now. Tell them to give your money back before they have words with your lawyer and some local news outlets then go get what you want from someone else.
 
2015 TEP w/ KDSS listed $38,722 ~320 miles from zipcode 06118

This 4runner is almost the exact price you negotiated. comes with cargo crossbars and running boards (which can easily be taken off and sold if you want to buy sliders or Nfabs).

i guess you are on a slippery slope with your dealer until you get this deposit nonsense taken care of. if they give you your money back you could have this baby by the weekend... can't wait to see what you do! :popcorn:
 
Last edited:
Taking the high road

My dealer says the one in PA isn't in the system yet, so the cars.com website must be not up to date, and he IS however, waiting for the Atlantic toyota in MA to give him a call back on the availability the car. Hopefully they call back! Or maybe should I call that dealer directly and tell them to call my dealer?

You can call PA and see if they have it in stock. No commitment to buy required. Same thing for Atlantic Toyota in Maine. If you find something out let your dealer know.

I admire you for taking the high road. This is what I'd do in your situation. Avoid threatening them with a lawsuit or bad will on the internet. Everyone knows a lawsuit won't get your $1000 back after legal fees. I think the info you've provided here is all the bad will they need right now. Threats only sour the relationship and makes them work against you. An open honest line of communication is the best strategy.

Do give them 10 days written notice now. Inform them they have 10 days to come up with the right vehicle or refund your deposit. If they can't get it by then you'll still consider buying from them but they need to have the car on the lot before you'll sign anything.

Did you really find a TEP with only the accessories you want? You may need to be flexible on the features you want if the exact model you want is not available anywhere in your vicinity. Decide what is critical and what is acceptable. Does it have to be black? Will it be okay if there are a few accessories? Which ones would you be willing to pay for (a little bit more). based on what you're finding in your searches you can tell what is going to be available and what is not out there.

Explain that if they can't get the car in 10 days it's not going to happen and you don't want your money tied up. It's fair game to mention the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon is an option , even if it's not the car you really want.
 
I have read through the thread and feel for you OP!

Question: Did you put the deposit down via a check or did you use plastic (Visa / MC / Amex / Discover)?

IF you used plastic and you have waited a sufficient period of time for them to produce said negotiated vehicle, you may try calling the Plastic company and dispute the charge since the negotiated vehicle is now unavailable...
 
well not much I can say that someone else has been in that boat before.

wink, wink.

good learning experience for the future.
 
If you keep having problems out of the dealer, you need to call Toyota's Customer Care and have them open up a case against the dealer. I did this when a dealer tried to back out of $1000 rebate he said I was qualified for, that he and I signed on the contract. What happens is Toyota will call the customer relations manager at the dealer, present your case, and tell them to fix it. The dealers are just franchises of Toyota. There are only a couple of actual Toyota company employees onsite and one is the customer relations manager. Dealers do not want to get in trouble with Toyota so usually they will back off and bend to the customer in those situations.

Back when I had a F150, I did the same thing when the dealer wouldn't give me a rental car. Called Ford customer care, told them I needed a rental car to go to work, and they called the dealer. The dealer called me right back and said they would have a rental car for me when I dropped the truck off.
 
Didn't read rest of posts but that sucks. I'm in NY and there getting me my white trail premium from CT actually. Hope to get it tomorrow!
 
Update everyone.

I've been harassing them to find one, and using your dealer finds as resources for them to call. I call the sales manager every day and annoy him, telling him "I would like to help you find this car".

THEY FOUND ONE!!!!

It has cargo crossbars and something else I didn't want that made the cost go up 300 dollars but at this point, I don't even care.

My current car is barely hanging on (milking an old volvo), and I can't get this car soon enough

So if all goes according to plan, I *should* be picking it up next weekend.

I will post a new thread when I get it. Thank you all for your help. Hopefully all goes smoothly.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,317
Messages
3,554,125
Members
248,016
Latest member
Advally Service

Trending content

Back
Top