Rear Hatch Struts: Normal vs "Cold Spec"

Berty_K

Member
Hi Folks-

Recently replaced my aftermarket trunk struts that I had only used for 3ish years. The aftermarket struts had three problems:
  • They were starting to rust
  • The top clip holding in the ball mount wasn't staying fully seated. Had to reseat it periodically.
  • The trunk wouldn't full open. Though it never got in the way, the trunk had a few remaining "degrees" of lift before being fully open

OEM struts have two options: "Original" and "Cold Spec."
Original Spec (Right): 6890739015
Original Spec (Left): 6890839015
Cold Spec (Right): 6890739025
Cold Spec (Left): 6890839025

I sleuthed around and couldn't find ANY information on the two types of struts.

I'm currently in California, but anticipate moving back to the Midwest (read: ****ing cold winters), so I opted to go with the "Cold Spec." My primary concern with the "Cold Spec" struts would be too firm & therefore would make closing the trunk a pain.

Struts are currently in and can confirm the trunk is no harder to close (wife also confirmed this). Trunk FULLY opens also.

Considering I paid ~$20 each for the aftermarkets, I regret not paying a bit more for OEM which are ~$40 each. Yes, more expensive, but the old struts almost a decade. The aftermarkets were finicky from the start.
 
Register to hide this ad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
278,383
Messages
3,554,578
Members
248,077
Latest member
D'Angelo

Trending content

Back
Top