Recent Gas Mileage

Sixthirteen

Junior Member
Just want to share my recent fuel mileage experience with our 2021 4Runner Venture Edition. We did a nice loop from Arizona to Yellowstone National Park where we racked up 2700 miles. During that time we never saw less than 21mpg and got as high at 24mpg. I never thought I could get this MPG out of the Runner, especially with the basket/rack that came with the vehicle. I am very happy with this vehicle and the engine. This picture was snapped in West Yellowstone after a day of driving both in and out of the Park.
 
Register to hide this ad
I am not surprised, considering you were on a long road trip with significant stretches of Interstate/US highway cruising, especially if your top speed was not much above the limit.

My GX averages 21 MPG and usually gets about the same whenever we go on 3000+ mile road trips. No hypermiling or silly techniques and plenty of AC usage. Not what I was expecting from a V8.

I will say that my Fuelly account says I have used no ethanol for 42 of the 72 fill ups since I bought her new. If you live in a state where no ethanol is available, your MPG would be even better. It really helps with the city MPG.
 
Just want to share my recent fuel mileage experience with our 2021 4Runner Venture Edition. We did a nice loop from Arizona to Yellowstone National Park where we racked up 2700 miles. During that time we never saw less than 21mpg and got as high at 24mpg. I never thought I could get this MPG out of the Runner, especially with the basket/rack that came with the vehicle. I am very happy with this vehicle and the engine. This picture was snapped in West Yellowstone after a day of driving both in and out of the Park.

there's only 2 ways I see this being possible

1. the trip computer is not correct
2. you had the perfect conditions. wind at your back, in the perfect eco zone so probably not going too fast, in 2wd, street tires no AT nonsense and no extra modded weight or roof baskets etc. literally so perfect that if you were to do the same route again the number would be different

I don't believe anything above 19mpg for these vehicles is repeatable regularly. I can't get above 16mpg with a mix of highway and minor city driving. no way people are getting low 20s or toyota would be putting that on the brochure but it's only rated at 19mpg isnt it for EPA?
 
there's only 2 ways I see this being possible

1. the trip computer is not correct
2. you had the perfect conditions. wind at your back, in the perfect eco zone so probably not going too fast, in 2wd, street tires no AT nonsense and no extra modded weight or roof baskets etc. literally so perfect that if you were to do the same route again the number would be different

I don't believe anything above 19mpg for these vehicles is repeatable regularly. I can't get above 16mpg with a mix of highway and minor city driving. no way people are getting low 20s or toyota would be putting that on the brochure but it's only rated at 19mpg isnt it for EPA?
Maybe not for everyone but the GX is certainly capable of it with an equally thirsty V8 that is also rated at 19 MPG. I have averaged 21.1 MPG over the entire 23,000+ miles I have owned it since new, and I'm not playing hypermile games. Most of the time it is loaded with hundreds of pounds of camping gear and luggage plus people. We have driven through the Smokey and Appalachian mountains on our way to the Atlantic coast. I am not using the trip computer. You can find it on Fuelly...every single fill-up is recorded.

"https://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/gx460/2023/gomiami/1257378"

I believe it depends on two things:

1. Using no ethanol gasoline makes a massive difference
2. Not having an absolute lead foot when accelerating from a dead stop

It is possible.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,379
Messages
3,554,557
Members
248,082
Latest member
tuṣṭāva

Trending content

Back
Top