After spending at least an hour taking pictures, soaking in the sun, and enjoying the beauty I made breakfast and coffee on my stove which had gathered a little frost during the night.
DSC00823 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00829 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
Afterwards I went and walked around a little more, Alstrom Point is a magnificent place.
DSC00830 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00834 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00835 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00839 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
I think what you see in this picture is the sun refracting through the water somehow. It was very cool to watch it “dance” through the water.
DSC00842 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00843 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00850 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
I got back to the campsite, packed up, and washed my face and hair. It was pretty warm in the sun, which was nice. I wasn’t sure what I’d be doing today, so I googled some trails around and near Zion National Park, which I would pass near on my way to Vegas. I contemplated trying to hike Angel’s Landing, and decided I would make that decision once I got back on the road.
DSC00861 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00863 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
As I was leaving I decided to take a short spur that came off the trail. It lead me here, where I stopped to take pictures when I was interrupted by a phone call from my girlfriend. She was supposed to be going to lunch with a friend who would then drop her off at a shuttle pickup, which would take her to Atlanta. “He’s gonna be pissed” is all I heard when I answered the phone. Her flight had been cancelled, with no plans to do anything other than put her on the next Frontier flight for Vegas which didn’t leave until tomorrow night…
Now I was extremely thankful for the 4G service I had up here. I spent the next half hour trying to find other flights that might be able to make it out of Atlanta and get her just about anywhere on the West Coast, it didn’t really matter where. I found a flight that left Atlanta 7am the next morning, and would get her into Los Angeles. We got her a ticket on that flight, figuring we would only loose a few hours that way instead of a full day. Unfortunately she would have to spend the night in the airport, but at least she would be there, ready to go, instead of potentially stuck on an icy closed road.
Now the next step was to cancel the hotel we had booked in Vegas through Frontier Airlines also. The hotel was of no use, because I wouldn’t be able to make it from Vegas to LAX without leaving the hotel at 2AM… After speaking with 4 different people through Frontier who were of no help, and hardly spoke English I called the hotel who said they couldn’t do anything about it because we didn’t book through them. They said to call Expedia. So I called Expedia and the man said he could see our reservation. Hooray! But he couldn’t cancel it… Instead he gave me a number to call saying they could cancel it. I called that number, and it took me back to Frontier. I was extremely frustrated, as I had just spent an hour on the phone with Frontier to no avail, but I must have got the one competent person on the phone there. Within 5 minutes he had us a refund. Thankfully that was over.
Now I had to find somewhere for myself to stay the night. I didn’t want to pay for a hotel since it would be just myself. [MENTION=123332]Drunner97[/MENTION] posted for me in a Socal Tacomaworld thread asking about good campsites within 2 hours of LAX, that weren’t in a fire area. Thanks again for that!
I was then headed out of Alstrom Point, to start heading towards Los Angeles, when I got another call from my girlfriend. Her second flight for the next morning had just been cancelled… She tried to get United Airlines to fly her anywhere else out west, but they said they couldn’t and she would now be leaving Sunday morning from Atlanta, when she was already on a shuttle headed towards Atlanta, and it was Friday morning around noon. Feeling totally defeated by this our next best plan was for her to ask the people at check in if there is anything they can do when she gets there in about an hour. Meanwhile I’m in Utah, trying to figure out what I’m going to do.
DSC00868 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00869 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00870 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
She showed up to the check in counter, and asked the man working if she could check in for a flight leaving Sunday morning, even though it was Friday afternoon. She didn’t have any other options, she was without a car, and all the hotels were booked full from other cancellations. The man working said no, but looked at her, only holding a backpack, and asked if she was ready to go. She said yes, and he told her there’s one last flight for LA leaving tonight, it leaves in an hour, and if she can make it to the terminal, she’s on the flight! This man completely saved the day, and deserves a raise. She called me with this news and I immediately increased my speed on the dirt, hoping she would make her flight and I could drive to LA tonight.
DSC00874 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
I made it to pavement in record time, and drove to the nearest gas station to air back up instead of spending 20 minutes with my VIAR compressor. I set the GPS, for LAX, 8.5 hours, 550 miles. It was about 4 PM at this point, and I was really hoping she would make this flight. I called my dad to see if he could look up flights from Atlanta to LAX, and see when she would get in. I didn’t want to bother her while she’s trying to get through the busiest airport in the world… It looked like she would get there around 9PM, and I would be there around midnight.
I drove for almost 2 hours and didn’t hear from her, and I wasn’t sure if that meant she made it, or if she didn’t make it. Then she called, and said she was waiting to board, but it’s gonna be awhile because of de-icing, and Delta/Southwest flights get priority in Atlanta, due to them being headquartered there. She said they told her they would still be leaving today, but I was skeptical.
I continued to drive though, trying to enjoy the Arizona scenery.
DSC00875 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00881 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00885 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00889 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
DSC00893 by
Unner Unner, on Flickr
An hour later she said they were boarding, but it would still be 90 minutes until they could leave. I kept driving towards LA, hopeful that they would make it. Eventually I got a text that they were about to take off, and then my Dad called letting me know the flight tracker showed them as being in the air! With all the delays I was now actually supposed to beat her there by about 30 minutes.
At this point I had already crossed the Nevada, and California state lines, my 35th and 36th states. Feeling much more relieved, I stopped in California somewhere to eat at In-n-Out, since we don’t have them on the east coast. This is when I realized gas prices make no sense in California. I was able to fill up for $2.85, but across the street I could have paid $3.65?? No thanks…
As I crossed across the Mojave Desert, where I would eventually do some exploring my dad called me and asked if I had plans for where we were going to stay tonight. “No, not really. I was gonna figure that out once I’m at the airport...” He volunteered to look for a hotel for us, since I was driving and she was in the air. He called back a little while later saying there was a nice looking Homewood Suites in Redondo Beach. He said the area looks good, and the parking looks safe, which is important considering the truck is everything at this point. He said he called and they had lots of availability, and sent me directions.
As I neared LA, I learned the signs in California that say “Strong Wind Gusts Possible” aren’t joking. It was seriously windy in those areas. That’s when I also began to realize just how big LA is. It felt like I was driving through LA and its metro area for ages. I finally started seeing signs for LAX, and followed those. Right as I get close I get a call saying she’s landed. She walked out the front door as I pulled up, and the trip could now begin. Not the way we intended, but at least she wasn’t stuck in Atlanta for 2 more days. We headed to the hotel for the night, relieved that everything worked out after an extremely stressful day. Commercial air travel sucks, especially through Atlanta, the world’s largest airport, which is also totally unprepared for a very minor snow…
During the whole flight mess I stopped and bought a can of brake cleaner, sprayed all around the breather tubes, and the leak hadn’t come back, so that was a positive sign as well.