User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2020, 01:49 PM #1
mastee mastee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 149
mastee is on a distinguished road
mastee mastee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 149
mastee is on a distinguished road
2nd successful Timing Belt Service on a 2004 V8, link to pics

I did this in a 10x25 storage unit, 15 mins drive away from home in PNW's coldest, dampest months which was not a good idea but I am glad it is done. !st time I did was in Atlanta heat

I did not run into any problems in disassembly but my kit from ebay had a few parts that did not fit.

Boot on the Tensioner was too big, pressed and reused old one
The Tensioner pulley would be stuck in place when torqued, cleaned and reused old one
The Thermostat is a much smaller size, reused the old one
The Timing Belt has a metal nub poking through the back, bought a new one for $67 at a local dealership.

I have taken some pics and will talk to the seller and go from there

I had already installed the WP until I noticed the issues, so I proceeded also used the idler pulley and the drive belt form the kit.

On cams the "T" once again linedup with the notches with the mark on pulley and White Dimple

Runs great so far post 100 miles

Link to pics
mastee24 | Flickr

All came in OEM Toyota packaging and this is my 3rd TB kit from either Amazon or ebay
and first time this problem, I am going to verify/post the P/N again

Last edited by mastee; 02-18-2020 at 01:56 PM.
mastee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:34 PM #2
weaves weaves is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 56
weaves is on a distinguished road
weaves weaves is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 56
weaves is on a distinguished road
Props to you for doing it yourself, but man, why would you re-use a tensioner pulley that looks as rough as that? Did you at least pop the grease seal off and add more grease to the bearing? If that bearing in the pulley seizes up, it'll be just as bad as a broken timing belt. I certainly wouldn't want that in the back of my mind for the next 100k miles.

It sucks that the kit you bought on eBay had the wrong parts in it which is the exact reason why I don't buy timing belt kits from eBay anymore. They're usually put together by the seller which can include mismatched parts or even worse, counterfeited parts.
weaves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:38 PM #3
That_Titanium_4RNR's Avatar
That_Titanium_4RNR That_Titanium_4RNR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Age: 23
Posts: 772
Real Name: Michael
That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice
That_Titanium_4RNR That_Titanium_4RNR is offline
Member
That_Titanium_4RNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Age: 23
Posts: 772
Real Name: Michael
That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice That_Titanium_4RNR is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaves View Post
Props to you for doing it yourself, but man, why would you re-use a tensioner pulley that looks as rough as that? Did you at least pop the grease seal off and add more grease to the bearing? If that bearing in the pulley seizes up, it'll be just as bad as a broken timing belt. I certainly wouldn't want that in the back of my mind for the next 100k miles.

It sucks that the kit you bought on eBay had the wrong parts in it which is the exact reason why I don't buy timing belt kits from eBay anymore. They're usually put together by the seller which can include mismatched parts or even worse, counterfeited parts.
You summed up all my thoughts perfectly.
__________________
Titanium Metallic 2006 Limited 4WD V8 | Doug Thorley "Premium" Long Tubes/Modded Ypipe | Magnaflow dual in/dual out | True Dual Exhaust | Fr: 5100/885/SPC R: Icon 2"/2nd gen links | 285/75R17 G003s | Sherpa Princeton | Baja Designs | 5th Gen Brakes | Everything else is in the Build Thread
That_Titanium_4RNR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:07 PM #4
weaves weaves is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 56
weaves is on a distinguished road
weaves weaves is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 56
weaves is on a distinguished road
FYI, here's a clear example of why you need to be careful when buying so-called "OEM" timing belt kits or any other OEM parts on eBay.

Genuine Timing Belt Water Pump Kit For Toyota Lexus 4Runner Tundra V8 4.7L OEM | eBay

At a quick glance, it looks pretty legit with the typical Toyota boxes and labels but if you look closely, there are several clues that these are counterfeit parts. The label on the serpentine belt says "Belt, Timing" which is an obvious misprint. Also, on the packaging for the camshaft and crankshaft seals, they used a thick, clear poly packaging which is vacuum/heat sealed and also has perforated edges to tear them open. I've never seen that type of packaging on any genuine Toyota parts. They usually just use a thin poly bag and tapes them shut with their labels or they all come loose in a seal kit.

FAKE:


GENUINE:


They also include a small square gasket that's supposed to go in between the water pump and thermostat housing. As far as I know, there was never a gasket available from Toyota and it is actually sealed up with FIPG, not a paper gasket.




And finally, just look through the seller's feedback. If there's just one mention of "fake" or "counterfeit", that's good enough for me to stay away. Unless it's a verified dealership selling on eBay, I avoid buying any parts from there because the counterfeits are getting more difficult to spot.
weaves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:45 PM #5
Inv4drZm's Avatar
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,833
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
Inv4drZm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,833
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaves View Post
FYI, here's a clear example of why you need to be careful when buying so-called "OEM" timing belt kits or any other OEM parts on eBay.

Genuine Timing Belt Water Pump Kit For Toyota Lexus 4Runner Tundra V8 4.7L OEM | eBay

At a quick glance, it looks pretty legit with the typical Toyota boxes and labels but if you look closely, there are several clues that these are counterfeit parts. The label on the serpentine belt says "Belt, Timing" which is an obvious misprint. Also, on the packaging for the camshaft and crankshaft seals, they used a thick, clear poly packaging which is vacuum/heat sealed and also has perforated edges to tear them open. I've never seen that type of packaging on any genuine Toyota parts. They usually just use a thin poly bag and tapes them shut with their labels or they all come loose in a seal kit.

FAKE:


GENUINE:


They also include a small square gasket that's supposed to go in between the water pump and thermostat housing. As far as I know, there was never a gasket available from Toyota and it is actually sealed up with FIPG, not a paper gasket.




And finally, just look through the seller's feedback. If there's just one mention of "fake" or "counterfeit", that's good enough for me to stay away. Unless it's a verified dealership selling on eBay, I avoid buying any parts from there because the counterfeits are getting more difficult to spot.
Good info. I bought Aisin TKT-021 from Amazon for my Tundra. I don't think I would risk going any cheaper than that kit. Appears to be legit but I'll scrutinize further before install.
__________________
2005 4R Sport 4WD "The last of the V8s!" - Custom TIG'd SS Dual Exhaust - King 2.5" +2 LT. - ARB Front & Rear - SCS SR8's - 37's - Dana 60 - Build Thread
2005 Tundra 2WD RCSB V8
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 PM #6
weaves weaves is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 56
weaves is on a distinguished road
weaves weaves is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 56
weaves is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
Good info. I bought Aisin TKT-021 from Amazon for my Tundra. I don't think I would risk going any cheaper than that kit. Appears to be legit but I'll scrutinize further before install.
That's where I got mine. It's definitely the real deal. I haven't come across any counterfeit AISIN kits but that doesn't mean there aren't any. The kits that are pieced together by independent retailers/sellers are the ones that I would be concerned about.
weaves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:56 PM #7
royal T4R royal T4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 229
royal T4R will become famous soon enough royal T4R will become famous soon enough
royal T4R royal T4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 229
royal T4R will become famous soon enough royal T4R will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
Good info. I bought Aisin TKT-021 from Amazon for my Tundra. I don't think I would risk going any cheaper than that kit. Appears to be legit but I'll scrutinize further before install.
Wanna throw a link at me?
royal T4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:52 PM #8
Inv4drZm's Avatar
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,833
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Inv4drZm Inv4drZm is offline
Senior Member
Inv4drZm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,833
Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of Inv4drZm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal T4R View Post
Wanna throw a link at me?
TKT-021 is the exact part number

Amazon.com: Aisin TKT-021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive
__________________
2005 4R Sport 4WD "The last of the V8s!" - Custom TIG'd SS Dual Exhaust - King 2.5" +2 LT. - ARB Front & Rear - SCS SR8's - 37's - Dana 60 - Build Thread
2005 Tundra 2WD RCSB V8
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:08 PM #9
MrSeth's Avatar
MrSeth MrSeth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Crawlorado
Posts: 401
Real Name: Seth
MrSeth has a spectacular aura about MrSeth has a spectacular aura about MrSeth has a spectacular aura about
MrSeth MrSeth is offline
Member
MrSeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Crawlorado
Posts: 401
Real Name: Seth
MrSeth has a spectacular aura about MrSeth has a spectacular aura about MrSeth has a spectacular aura about
Awesome job completing the job yourself! I agree with past posts though about thoroughly vetting the seller and verifying all parts before teardown.

I used to do my timing belt myself when I was in the automotive industry, but now I have shops do it so I can point a finger if my engine poops itself lol.
__________________
2004 Sport Edition v8
2.5" Bilstein 5100's. 3" ProComp Rear Coils. ProComp ES9000's. SPC Upper Control Arms. 1.5" Delrin BL. BORA 2" Wheel Adapters. -12mm 17x9 Unique Soft 8's. 315 70x17 Hankook ATMRF10. S-Fab Front/Rear Bumper & Roof Rack. S-Fab Hood Vents. Hood Pins. UHF/VHF Radio. BOSS Audio 2Din Head Unit. Kenwood & Kicker Door Speakers. KC HiLites (with LED switchback). 04>06 Projector Swap. 1" Transfer Case Drop. Thrush Glasspack. Smittybilt OBA.
MrSeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
belt , kit , pics , pulley , reused

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Much Did You Pay For Timing Belt Service? nick_rabbo 4th Gen T4Rs 8 11-28-2019 06:31 PM
Timing belt job? Successful. VernySanders 3rd gen T4Rs 14 07-29-2019 05:41 PM
110,000 service with timing belt cost? dannyg 4th Gen T4Rs 21 08-29-2012 08:48 PM
Timing belt service cost SolRayz 4th Gen T4Rs 4 01-19-2011 01:05 AM
Going rate for timing belt service? jrm27 3rd gen T4Rs 15 04-07-2010 10:18 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020