Dashboard Cracks (options?)

OliviasDad

New member
I recently purchased a 2004 SR5 and there were some hairline cracks in the dash. I wasn't aware of the warranty recall until after I purchased the vehicle. The previous owner also did not mention anything about it, although the certified letter from Toyota was in the glove box so he clearly ignored the issue. I purchased the vehicle after the May 2017 deadline however, so I'm not sure it will matter but I plan to call Toyota to see if there is anything I can do about a replacement. I also saw that there is a class action suit underway, so I may add myself to that list.

In the meantime however, I was considering what my other options may be and saw that JCWhitney has a product called Coverlay that might work. I've seen a few posts on the forum of others that have used this product, but have not seen any pictures of it installed. For those of you that have bought a Coverlay, was it worth it? Any issues? Does it fit snuggly? What about the color matching?

Besides the Coverlay, what have others used? I don't think I'm interested in going the carpet cover route.
 
Register to hide this ad
I am interested also as my '04 developed a tiny crack on May31st, the final day of the warranty. Saw it late in the day and could not get to a dealer. True story, I kid you not. Now that crack is about a foot long and there are 3 more small ones. Makes me sick and irritated it showed up on last day of the warranty.
 
I am interested also as my '04 developed a tiny crack on May31st, the final day of the warranty. Saw it late in the day and could not get to a dealer. True story, I kid you not. Now that crack is about a foot long and there are 3 more small ones. Makes me sick and irritated it showed up on last day of the warranty.

That sucks!

Here is the only pic that I could find of a Coverlay in place on a 4runner (at least I believe this is a Coverlay - that is, the original pic was done through photobucket which no longer works, but some googling helps):

qq1xxEil.jpg


The member that I believe posted this pic also let me know via PM that it held up pretty well over the years before he sold the 4R.

The image above is a little grainy and there is some shadowing that makes me wonder how flat these things lay on the old dash. Anyone else have experience with the Coverlay?
 
Last edited:
you can always put a dash cover on, i put one on just to prevent cracks and damage.
heres how the black looks, dashtex material tho. i havent fully secure it, just loosely fitted, so the heat can help flat out some rinkles.







 
you can always put a dash cover on, i put one on just to prevent cracks and damage.
heres how the black looks, dashtex material tho. i havent fully secure it, just loosely fitted, so the heat can help flat out some rinkles.

Thanks, not sure I want to go the carpeted route right now. How do they do with heat?
 
Thanks, not sure I want to go the carpeted route right now. How do they do with heat?

Its a long shot but There was a long waiting time for many to get the repair. Theres a chance the previous owner had it scheduled already if they had the slip in the glove...
 
Thanks, not sure I want to go the carpeted route right now. How do they do with heat?

its an added layer of protection, its not a thick material. its very light. i think it was somewhere in the 50-75 range. i have the dashtex material, the others in the thread have the sedona seude.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,379
Messages
3,554,557
Members
248,082
Latest member
tuṣṭāva

Trending content

Back
Top