When I first built the rack, I used .065 3/4" tube. I really should have used larger tube, or some heavier tube. I also should have built it with a little more space between the rack and the roof of the truck. I was trying to get it as LOW Profile as I could. When I loaded it up, it would flex and actually hit the top of the roof.
What I ended up doing was pulling the rack off and adding some additional 3/4" bars in .120 thickness across the span. I also added some 3/16" spacers under the mounting feet to space the rack up a bit. Between the two additions, I was able to make the rack so it didn't flex so much and hit the roof.
I recently sold mine and my wife's atv's. Before I sold them, I pulled the the Koplin 4 gallon fuel can and mounts off. While I had the rack off, I added some tabs, and drilled and tapped some tube so that I could run the Koplin mount up on the roof. With the cans I have now, I have the possibility to run a total of 17 extra gallons of fuel on the truck, 10 on the bumper, and 7 up on the roof. My normal configuration for longer trips will probably be 5 on the bumper (along with 5 gallons of water) and 4 on the roof.
I also went ahead and added another tab for an NMO mount. I use this for either an external for my Baofeng dual band, or I've got an adapter that allows me to run it for my Midland CB if I absolutely have to run a CB.
Lastly, I added a amber dust light. These are super handy in the desert, I've literally lost people in front of me cause the dust gets so thick. The amber cuts through the dust and hopefully will keep people from rear ending me!
