Fight the rust
I have very littles runt on the under carriage. Mostly light surface rust. I will rust mort and then paint those spots. I searched for various DYI methods of protecting it all afterwards, and this is what I think will most meet my south western winter needs for running up to Brianhead to ski.
<a href="http://kellsportproducts.com/fluidfilmkits.html"/a>Fluid Film Undercoating Kit 1 Gallon with Spray Gun, bottles, and everything you need
</a> They also have bigger kits.
Here is the Amazon description:
"Fluid Film® Product Information When the U.S. Navy needed to conquer the costs and delays of battling rust and corrosion inthe ballast tanks of its thousands of combat and support vessels in World War II, an innovative chemist formulated a powerful weapon based on an unlikely ingredient: lanolin (wool wax). The savings were immediate. The costs of chipping, sealing and painting were greatly reduced. The new film penetrated corrosion and rust quickly. Application was simple. Protective action was long lasting and economical. The weapon was Fluid Film®, produced in a variety of easy use forms by Eureka Chemical Company. Operating since 1943 and incorporated in 1953, the company continues as a family-owned business managed by descendants of the founding chemist. From its first seagoing use in the 1940's, Fluid Film® has been proved in some of the most severe conditions: industrial, agricultural, raw-terrain construction - even on the space shuttle. Modified over time to adapt to environmental and application considerations, it's non-toxic, non-hazardous, contains no solvents and is environmentally friendlier. Fluid Film® continues to serve as the most effective corrosion control for industry, agriculture, manufacturing and transportation. Fluid Film - A Rust and Corrosion Preventive for quick and effective corrosion control. For use on marine hardware, battery terminals, electrical connections, tools, brass clips, all metal parts or surfaces exposed to atmosphere or salty spray. No solvents - environmentally friendly. Made in the USA. It takes 1/2 to 3/4 gallon to undercoat a mid size suv. Eureka Fluid Film® is non-hazardous. Fresh inventory shipped direct from Kellsport Products."
Many years ago I met the original development of WD 40, his was a similar story. I have believed if the government would get out of the way, we would see products like this developed everyday, without nearly destroying the world, by war in the process.
Even if I have to do it several times a year, due to washing the undercarriage after salt exposure I think this will be a good investment.