99 limited with a seized engine

t_p_g

New member
Hi all,

I bought a 99 4runner limited a few months ago - in great shape, 160k, dealer maintained its whole life, etc etc.

Like a lot of these trucks, the valve cover gaskets were leaking - I took it to a local shop to get them replaced. When I picked the truck up, everything was working just fine. I put a hundred or so miles on it in the next few days with no problem.

Saturday night, I was driving back home on the highway and the engine cut out. I pulled over to the side of the road & it wouldn't start back up - all the electrics worked, but the engine wouldn't even turn over. No fluids pouring out the bottom, nothing looked immediately wrong under the hood.

I towed it to a mechanic who looked at it this morning - they were unable to manually turn the engine over, which according to them means that something has failed internally and the engine has seized.

So: that brings me to my main question - could it be a total coincidence that the engine failed 2 days after having the top opened up? Is it possible that the shop did something wrong? This truck has ran like a champ since I've had it, and has definitely not given me any sort of warning signs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated - having to spend several thousand dollars for a new engine on a truck I just bought is bumming me out pretty hard.
 
Register to hide this ad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,379
Messages
3,554,562
Members
248,082
Latest member
tuṣṭāva

Trending content

Back
Top