Guess what I did

That's called 'neglect'.

How did you guess? Do you own a 3rd Gen BTW or did you just drop by to leave that pearl of wisdom?

The facts: I drove my 4runner long after my brakes started grinding badly. Since I planned to replace the rotors next time I do brakes, and its way too bloody cold to do them in the winter, and I don't drive my rust free other Toyota in the winter because I want it to remain rust free, I just kept driving.
 
Last edited:
I'm getting frustrated! I replaced my rubber hose and the metal line to caliper with a copper alloy line. Somehow, and I swear it wasn't me, the first couple of threads on the line and caliper got buggered, so I tossed the line and tapped just the first couple threads on the caliper. I had a helluva time getting any of the new connections to seal but finally got them all except at the caliper. I find it hard to believe that just the first couple of threads are causing it, but welcome any ideas that don't include a new caliper. I'm about to go buy my 3rd copper alloy line....and they aren't cheap. :mad:
 
So I guess my implied question wasn't obvious enough. The brake line seals at the flare, right? So the leak must be because the flared end of the brake line is buggered, right, not because the first couple threads on the caliper aren't perfect, right? I'm not terribly experienced with brake lines, but am going to pull it off and look at the flare in the morning.
 
So I guess my implied question wasn't obvious enough. The brake line seals at the flare, right? So the leak must be because the flared end of the brake line is buggered, right, not because the first couple threads on the caliper aren't perfect, right? I'm not terribly experienced with brake lines, but am going to pull it off and look at the flare in the morning.
Yes it's the flare that seals, the "nut"/threaded part just applies pressure for it to seal.
There is however different types/angles of flares, but if some of them sealed it's most likely not the issues.
 
Yes it's the flare that seals, the "nut"/threaded part just applies pressure for it to seal.
There is however different types/angles of flares, but if some of them sealed it's most likely not the issues.
I had a helluva time getting any of them to seal, and I know I bought the right type.I'm guessing I just overtightened or some other inexperienced user error. I will waste another $15 for my 3rd try and will make sure to undertighten at first.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,381
Messages
3,554,566
Members
248,075
Latest member
tuṣṭāva

Trending content

Back
Top